Cannabis Indica and Cannabis Sativa are two cannabis strains that differ in size, shape, aroma, and potency. Even though these strains are distinct, marijuana farmers frequently cross breed them to create hybrid strains.
- They are commonly known as ‘Indica or Sativa.’Aside from smell and appearance, the most noticeable difference is that Indica produces a more relaxed, sleepy feeling, whereasSativa produces a cerebral, creative high.
- Sativa also has a much higher THC to CBD ratio than indica, which results in more substantial psychological effects like hallucinations and paranoia and long-term health issues like memory and cognitive function loss.
Both plants are used to cultivate hemp, a durable fiber derived from the stalk of the cannabis plant.
1) Psychotropic Effects of Indica vs. Sativa (a.k.a. “High”)
For those who use marijuana to get high, the effects of Indica and Sativa plants differ.
- According to reports, the Indica strain produces a “body high.” Users report feeling relaxed, warm, sleepy, and unmotivated after using Indica as a drug. Indica is frequently reserved for use at night to aid sleep.
- Sativa plants produce a cerebral high and have been associated with mild hallucinogenic experiences. Sativa is also said to boost creativity and speed of thought. Sativa is occasionally used recreationally during the day to provide a mental “energy” boost. Sativa has also been linked to paranoia, which can be a side effect of cannabis use.
2) The concentration of THC and CBD
- The two most essential cannabinoid compounds found in cannabis are THC (tetrahydrocannabinol) and CBD (cannabidiol) (cannabidiol).
- THC is a psychotropic substance, which means it induces feelings of mental euphoria by eliciting a strong reaction within the central nervous system.
- CBD is non-psychoactive, making it less likely to cause anxiety or other psychotropic solid reactions.
- Indica has a lower THC: CBD ratio, which indicates that it contains more CBD. So, it might make sense that the Indica species is associated with a “body” high and relaxation and that it’s better for medical use because it doesn’t make people anxious or paranoid.
- Sativa has a lot of THC to CBD ratio, which means it can have more psychological effects like paranoia and hallucinations because it has a lot more THC than CBD.
3) Medical Applications
Medical marijuana is a popular alternative to Western medicine in many cultures.
Indica is specifically used to aid sleep, relieve inflammation, combat seizures, relax muscles, and treat migraines. It is also being looked at as a treatment for schizophrenia and Parkinson’s disease. Sativa is a well-known appetite stimulant, muscle relaxant, antidepressant, and anti-nausea remedy.
Even though Sativa plants can take up to three months to fully mature, they are prized for their THC content and more profound psychotropic properties. I hope you have gotten your answer what is better, indica or sativa?